Thursday, June 7, 2012

Make Up Essentials: Brush Care (plus little DIY)

I know the title can be so deceiving, but today I won't necessarily talk about the brushes you should have and start with, but instead talk about brush care! I know we all have those wonderful makeup brushes we turn to everyday to help us get that flawless finish on our faces, but by the end of the week when you pick you brush again and think about it... There really is a whole load of germs on there :( So  today I'll just talk about some basic brush care!  Firstly make sure you store your brushes so that they aren't touching each other and a spread of germs won't be all up in the air. A really popular method to hold brushes lately is with sand, rice, little pebbles or etc in a glass jar with your brushes facing upward. Personally I love this method! 


This way all your brushes are separated from each other and won't spread germs around 
Secondly, I know its hard to full clean our brushes everyday but I recommend cleaning once a week and at most twice a week (but if you think about it twice a week gets pretty gross too) Some people can use brush cleaners at the store or I can teach you my DIY method ^^ (*clap clap* YAY! first DIY) 

For this DIY brush cleaner it is super easy all you need is some olive oil and baby shampoo 



Olive oil will act as a great softener for our brushes. Some people use conditioners right on the brushes, but personally I feel like it shouldn't be used in such a way 0_0. I think olive oil works much much better ^^ 

Baby shampoo doesn't have as much chemicals as normal shampoos because it is used on baby's of course !! ^^ So it is very gentle on the brushes! 

So here is the DIY 
In a little container or plate add baby shampoo you want the shampoo mainly just the cover the bottom of the little container or form about a circle the size of a small CD ( add as much as you need, start with a little amount and use more as needed for the brushes) then add about a quarter size of olive oil in. Take one of your brushes and swirl it in the mixture and set aside. Coat all your dirty brushes and clean off the plate. Then starting from the first brush you cleaned start rinsing them with warm water squeezing out all the soap and excess makeup ( you will see lots of colors in your sink haha xD ) after that you can dry them which ever way you like ( or the way I am about to teach) 

Thirdly remember to dry them properly so you don't damage your treasured brushes! You can either use a dry and shape or something similar :) 

or you can do another easy at home method! Fold your towel in half and at the halved side roll it inward till you form a little spring roll ( I know my descriptions are quite funny ^_^) Then you want to place the handle end of you brushes on the rolled parted so then the brush side is touching the towel! 
Remember drying your brushes is essential you don't want to just stick them back in the jar because then you will ruin the glue inside the brush and your brushes will begin to crack and fall apart fast! So over all I hope you enjoyed this quick quick blog! Tell me how often do you clean your brushes ? would you like to see me demonstrate my DIY cleaning of my brushes ? Until Next Time 

Cherry 8> ~~

PS I am no affiliated with any of these products! they are all opinions of my own. 
** Images are from Google 




33 comments:

dugongsss said...

Great post!

Check out my blog giveaway!
http://dawndugong.blogspot.com

peachesanddcream said...

Great DIY post! The brush cleaner I use is really expensive, I'll have to give this a try!
<3

http://peachesanddcream.blogspot.com

Cherry Berry ~~ said...

Thank you! I have joined your give away! Thanks so much for commenting and reading!!
Much Love
Cherry~~

Cherry Berry ~~ said...

Thank you! I know brush cleaners are so expensive! I really enjoy this method I hope you do too! Thanks for reading and commenting!
Much Love
Cherry~~

preethi Prasad said...

informative..

Jade in The Palace said...

nice post! I am currently using a brush cleaner from INGLOT, really nice and clean ! :D

Sarah said...

I use baby shampoo to clean my brushes too! I usually clean them once a week but I have lots so each one doesn't get amny uses until I clean them! :) xx

www.almostdelightful.com

Cherry Berry ~~ said...

Thank you :)
Much Love
Cherry~~

Cherry Berry ~~ said...

Thank you ! I will for sure give that one a try if I can find it here in Canada ! ^^
Much Love
Cherry~~

Cherry Berry ~~ said...

It saves more money definetly ! ^^ I usually clean my brushes once a week because I use all variety of brushes :) Thanks for dropping by to comment!
Much Love
Cherry~~

littlemissandrea said...

Brush care is definitely very important :) I store my brushes the same way as you, and instead of using baby shampoo, I use antibacterial dish soap! Super easy and cleans the brushes out so well. Have you ever heard of the brush guard? It works really well for drying brushes and maintaining the bristle shape too.

Jenny said...

I use these large candle holders I bought from TJMaxx to hold my brushes - it's prettier than a regular glass jar and really cheap too :D I don't use anything to separate the brushes though I really should... Your post also reminded me that I need to wash my brushes >__<

Btw, followed your blog on Google Friend Connect :D Thanks for visiting mine!

xoxo,
geekyposh.com

Cherry Berry ~~ said...

Either one works great! I know I wouldn't want to put my brushes to waste ^^ Yes I have I'm ordering some and trying to get my hands on some! Thanks for taking the time to read and comment on my blog! I appreciate it
Much Love
Cherry~~

Cherry Berry ~~ said...

Oh! thats a very good idea too ^^ I might need to get a new one since my jar is starting to become too small to hold my brush collection xD Its a thought to keep in mind thats for sure ! I know sometimes i get busy and forget too ! Thanks so much for taking the time to read and comment I appreciate it so much !
Much Love
Cherry~~

Cece said...

Lovely, good idea for cleaning brushes dear, and btw, thanks for the comment on my blog. Would you like to follow each other?

AESTHETICALLY SPEAKING by Tisha said...

Sure. following you now and wating for you :)

xoxo Tisha,
"Click to follow me via GFC"
"AESTHETICALLY SPEAKING"
"Updates from: FACEBOOK"
"BLOGLOVIN"

Cherry Berry ~~ said...

Thank you ! :) of course following !
Much Love
Cherry~~

Cherry Berry ~~ said...

Following now ! Thanks for commenting !
Much Love
Cherry~~

iamprecious ♡ said...

sooo ice! great post,love it! :) would you like to follow each other?

http://preciouslovestyle.blogspot.com/

Cherry Berry ~~ said...

Thank you ! Of course^^ following :) Thanks for taking the time to comment !
Much Love
Cherry~~

Buse | OH HAPPY STUDIO said...

thank you for your comment :) of course we can follow each other, I follow you right now :)

whimsicalityindisguise said...

such a great diy n tutorial!!! thank you so much pretty!!

♡ Whimsicalityindisguise.blogspot.com

Cherry Berry ~~ said...

My pleasure ! :) lthank you I will follow too!

Cherry Berry ~~ said...

Thank you ^^ I appreciate you reading and commenting <3 maybe we can follow each other?
Much Love
Cherry~~

life_lavender said...

Yupp! Thanks for your lovely comment! I'm officially following you, if you'd like to go ahead and follow me?

sleepandwater said...

I use that exact baby shampoo to clean my brushes :) I've not tried cleaning with olive oil though, thanks for the tip! Hopefully I can try it soon.

roxana said...

oh your blog is gorgeous!just followed you!xx

Cherry Berry ~~ said...

my pleasure ^^ I am following !!
Much Love
CHerry~~

Cherry Berry ~~ said...

isn't it just so convinent ? :) the olive oil helps to soften the brush ^^ Thanks for dropping by!
Much Love
Cherry~

Cherry Berry ~~ said...

Thank you :) I'm following back!
Much Love
Cherry~~

Stephanie said...

Great post! I love those brushes! (:
I am following now.

St├ęph❀nie's Notebook

Cherry Berry ~~ said...

Thanks! I know me too! I will follow back! ^_^
Much Love
Cherry~~

Tiarni said...

greats posts & brushes! i followed :)
http://allthingsbeautybytiarni.blogspot.com.au